Friday, August 03, 2007

I. Am. Short.

Once again today, I was reminded of something. A fact that is inescapable to me but seems to take others by surprise: I am short. Let me clarify – I’m not petite, not tiny, not wee, not child-sized, not small – I am the classic definition of short. I look like a normal sized person who has been reduced down to her most basic core. I have no filler added…like say, a torso or that superfluous 6 inches of leg that so many others have. And today, this did not go unnoticed.
“Have you shrunk?” a co-worker asked me.
“I’m wearing flats,” I said matter-of-factly.
“I never noticed that you were this short before, “ observed the co-worker who’d worked with me for the last 6 years.
This usually happens when someone sees me standing next to a tall person. The reason for this, I believe is that, if you saw me seated, you’d never know I was short. I don’t have that elfin look of those tiny tiny people who are simply the size of children. I prefer to think of it as ‘no frills’.
Still, I find it odd when people seem surprised by the fact.

4 comments:

aidan said...

I'm not sure exaclty why, but I love this post. I like your style ;)

katie landon said...

I giggled reading this. Not exactly a profound comment, but I thought you should know you provided me with morning fun! =^.^=

Staci Rose said...

I'm 5'2" and I find these people annoying. :P

Then again, I did have a boss that took a week to notice the gold eyebrow ring over my right eye.

Some people are more observant than others. And, some people have more tact.

I love your work and I don't care how tall you are. :)

KiWi said...

I'm just afraid someday that my boss might look down and notice that I'm still on the payroll :)